Friday, December 31, 2010

Nativity

There are lots of nativities out in the world and blog land these days. I love me a nativity set. I love that it is something tangible that represents the birth of a Savior. I know a lot of people that have multiple nativities. But I am the owner of only one. Not a fancy shmancy nativity, but one that is just precious to me and holds a special place in my heart. It was given to me by my dear friend, LaRue Skaggs, Christmas 2003, when we left the first church where Ryan was on staff in Texas.



It is a teeny, tiny little set with an angel, baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, four wisemen, and three animals. I just love it! It has been through several moves as well as a four year old boy, so it has seen better days. But look on the bright side for these particular stable animals, since they no longer have their ears, they don't have to hear baby Jesus crying...




Mary, specifically, was on my heart a lot through the Christmas holiday. I spent a lot of time thinking about the birth of Jesus from her point of view and where her heart must have been through all of the unknowns. I guess because it was on my mind a lot, it got transfered on to the kids. We talked as the days of Christmas got closer about Mary and what she would be doing right now. We had a lot of these conversations, "it's getting close", "they are traveling now to Bethlehem", "the baby Jesus is almost here".

I want my kids to know that these aren't just stories but real people that lived before us. A real Savior that was born in a stable to a virgin named Mary and an earthly father named Joseph... But you just never know if the things you're saying stick with them or go in one ear and out the other.

Well, I think my boy got it. The day before Christmas Eve, he was playing with the baby Jesus in the nativity set, and he looks up at me and says, "Mommy, the baby Jesus is almost to Bethland." That's right buddy! He is almost there. It won't be long now.



No comments:

Post a Comment