Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tradition #5

Lets just be honest, we live in an excessive society where bigger is better and more is never enough. Contentment is a foreign concept. I am not sure when Christmas became so much about the getting and buying and spending and over spending some more, but it hurts my heart. I want better for myself. I want better for my children.

Now, don't misunderstand. My children still get gifts from their grandparents and aunt and uncles, and all in all, get way more than any two children need. That being said, we started a new policy for ourselves a couple of years ago in regard to the buying and the gifts. Each child now gets from us 'something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read'.

Contentment. God is at work big-time in my mind and heart about this very subject. So as far as this tradition goes, I don't know what future Christmas' will hold for this family, but I hope it is more and more about the heart of Jesus and less and less about the wants of the Alexanders.

2 comments:

  1. I really like you guys! Wish we still lived next to each other. We have really changed our hearts and minds in regards to Christmas too. And this year had a completely different feel to it. It has been great. A lot of people I know did the "three gifts" thing this year. Since the wise men brought Jesus three gifts, they give their kids three gifts and then focus more on giving to others and celebrating Jesus' birthday. I really liked that idea. Maybe next year. -Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite. Thanks for sharing this concept with me. Our Christmas was less stressful and more enjoyable since we applied these guidelines this year. It's so good to have friends who seek the true meaning of the holiday,

    ReplyDelete