Friday, December 31, 2010

Granddaddy

The Monday after Christmas, we headed to West TN with my parents to see my granddaddy. I have written before about my Granddaddy and MamaKate. This past October marks a year since MamaKate left us. It is still hard for me to wrap my mind around. Needless to say, this past year has been beyond hard for Granddaddy. He lost his partner and best friend, and after 70 years of marriage, you don't get over that. He is the last one left of 8 siblings, and the days are long and lonely for him. I have heard him say more than a few times that he is ready for "the good Lord to take him home." And as much as it hurts my heart to think of him not being with us, I understand, and pray God's timing for him too.

Ryan and I went together to see them not long after we first got married, but Ryan has not been back since. And I have taken the kids a few times as well. I wanted the chance to take the kids again after Christmas and bring the photog along to capture some moments with him.







As far as I'm concerned my Granddaddy is the sweetest man on the face of the earth. A man of honesty and integrity that would literally give you the shirt off of his back; and a killer sense of humor to boot.

We got to spend a couple of days with him eating, talking, laughing, playing, eating, laughing, and then eating some more. Oh, how he loves to eat. He finishes one meal and starts asking what else there is to eat. Oh to have that metabolism! It was a wonderful time, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

They built the house that he lives in the year I was born. He built it with one of his brothers and paid cash for it as he went. So, that is where I grew up going every summer and Christmas. I have sweet memories of that house and that farm. When we pulled out of the driveway to leave, I couldn't stop the tears. Going there brings up so much nostalgia and memories for me. It is both comforting and heartbreaking all at the same time. Comforting because, besides MamaKate not being there, it is as it's always been. Heartbreaking because I know as timeless as they and that house have seemed, it will not always be the same.

I love my Grandaddy and the impact he has had on my life. I love that my children have gotten to spend time with him and create memories of him that they will take with them their whole lives, just as I do. I am grateful that he knows Jesus and when "the good Lord does take him home", I know I will see him again. But for now, we love on him every chance we get and are thankful for each visit we get to have with him.

2 comments:

  1. your grandpa is a cutie... those pictures are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh all the hundreds of stories I've heard about your grandfather...this is the first time I've seen a picture. Putting the stories with a face makes looking at these pictures with more appreciation. Cherish those moments. Pictures and videos is a great way to do that. I started videoing my grandmother and interviewing her. I let her tell "her story". Priceless.

    ReplyDelete