Monday, March 21, 2011

Ethiopia, the people

You just can't help but notice how beautiful Ethiopian people are. Just effortlessly gorgeous.

In my mind's eye, my skin is just as flawless. And please don't try to tell me otherwise. I won't believe you.

Our whole crew plus our driver and Bisrat went to a traditional Ethiopian restaurant. I would tell you what all of this is on this tray, but quite honestly, I have no idea.

This is the way they serve food. There are no tables with plates and silverware. There is just a small table, similar to a tray table, surrounded by chairs. They sit platters like this in the small table in middle of everyone, and then you just 'dig in.' The item on the edges that is rolled up like tortillas is called injera. It is similar to the texture of a sponge/shammy and is used basically in place of a fork or spoon.

Here is my attempt to be a good sport and 'try some.' After I requested some silverware, of course. I don't eat shammy.



The restaurant had a stage where dancers would come out and perform dances from different regions of Africa while everyone was eating. Complete with outfit changes and props. Bisrat filled us in on which regions the dances represented and what, if anything, was symbolic about them. It was a fantastic experience! Not to mention the people at the table across from us ordered raw meat. Try as I might, I could not look away.



We got the opportunity to attend church with Bisrat. Apparently there are a couple of "Americanized" churches in Ethiopia, but we wanted to be a part of a true local church experience, so Bisrat was kind enough to let us tag along with him. When we arrived the worship had already started. As we walked into the building, and I looked around at all of the people getting their worship on, it was very emotional for me. An in your face, we have a BIG God moment.

Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have from the service. This is a group of the worship leaders praying after the service was over. And let me just tell you, worship for these people is no joke! Even though we couldn't understand the words they were saying, it was easy to understand their hearts. I am blessed to have been a part.

On one of our outings with Bisrat he took us to the ALERT leper colony. They have a gift shop there, and these are some of the ladies making items like rugs and dresses to sell. The leper colony is where Bisrat lived for 8 years before he started working for the guest house.


Lots of kids greeted us when we got out of the van; excited to see us and give high fives and hugs. The moms watched from a distance but were all smiles. I think they seemed to enjoy people coming to see them. Eve brought a bunch of tootsie roll pops, and we handed out all we had. You would have thought they were hundred dollar bills. Even the moms wanted some "sugar." Apparently love of the tootsie is universal. It was fun to get to hand them out, and a reminder that even the most simple of things in life is a luxury for them.



This pictures represents hundreds of thousands of children in Ethiopia. There were children everywhere. Many of them alone. They used buckets like these in an effort to make money. Some of them selling water, others shining shoes, and the list goes on.

Sometimes the magnitude of the desperation in this country felt overwhelming. Especially when it came to the children. They didn't choose a life of poverty or of an orphan, yet they are living it. There are images in life that are forever in your mind's eye, and for me, this is one of those images.

Ethiopia changed me. I will always be grateful for this country and for this experience. I left a part of my heart there. In our comfort and luxury, there is temptation to forget our spritiual need, our brokenness, and our deprivation. We become complacent. Complacency is not okay with me. May I never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more with that last paragraph. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete