Saturday, April 24, 2010

Going Green?


We've never been what I would consider a 'green' family or household. But with a husband and one child with horrible allergies and same said child with eczema that has had a recent flare-up like no other, we have been implementing some changes around this place. And one of those changes, I decided needed to be the chemicals I have been using to clean and do laundry with.

And I use the words clean and do laundry very loosely.

A few weeks ago I went on the hunt for the best products to use without the harmful chemicals. And the company Shaklee kept coming up. I did a lot of research and fell in love with their products. I wanted everything! But alas, didn't really have the funds to sink into it at the time, so I did what any responsible mother would do, I stopped cleaning and doing laundry. Totally kidding. Kinda.

So fast forward about four weeks and Jenn at Livin' the Simple Life was hosting a give away for Bonnie at House of Grace. I have been 'stalking' both blogs for a while and was super excited about the give away. Bonnie is pure genius with her cleaning and organizational skills. The giveaway was for a 30 dollar gift certificate for the Shaklee products, lifetime membership, and free shipping. And get a load, I won! Can you believe that? I never win anything. Seriously! Needless to say, I was beyond excited! Bonnie, if you're reading, thank you so much!

So, I got my loot a couple of days ago, and I am thrilled! I got it all out last night and took a little pic for all you tens of readers out there. And by took a little pic, I mean resident photog got out all his gear and had a mini session. Love that guy.

The products that I started out with are the laundry detergent, dryer sheets, automatic dishwashing detergent, dish detergent, Basic H2 cleaner which is a concentrate that is used to create the Degreaser, Window Cleaner, and the All-Purpose Cleaner. Can't say enough about Basic H2. This stuff is the macdaddy of all cleaners! And then there is the Scour Off for those tough jobs like a beyond nasty oven and a very neglected sink. Not that I have either of those.

I have already run a load of laundry, run the dishwasher, washed pots and pans, and wiped down all of my cabinets and table. And people, I am in love. And one of the best parts about these products is that they are concentrated so a little goes a long way. And while their cost is a little more up front they are a much better value and last longer than commercial cleaners without all of the harmful chemicals or side effects. So it's cheaper and safer and best of all, they work!

1 comment:

  1. We could quit cleaning and doing laundry if the fam would stop getting everything dirty. LOL

    ReplyDelete