Thursday, February 04, 2010

my girl, the tooth fairy, and a memory


P has been losing teeth like a champ since she was four years old. It started early with her, and I was not prepared, so I subsequently had not prepared her. Unbeknownst to me, she had two bottom teeth loose just after she had turned four. She bit into a graham cracker and comes to me, "my teeth are hurting." I took a feel and realized they were loose, and just casually made the statement, "oh, you are going to lose those teeth." Wrong thing to say to a little girl who may or may not be one of the most dramatic little girls of all time. All out panic ensued. She busts out crying and runs to her room. Bless her, she heard, "oh, you are going to lose those teeth" and in her little mind thought her teeth were going to fall out and she would have a mouth full of gums and no teeth! She had no idea there was such a thing as baby teeth, and that they fall out, and then you get permanent teeth. Mom of the year here people.

It took some explaining but once the tooth fairy was introduced, and then that fact that the tooth fairy leaves you money when you leave her your pulled tooth--she was totally on board! Lets just be honest, she is her mother's child, and there just isn't much that a little dough rae can't make all better.

Well, to this point she has lost 11 teeth. That's right 11. Some of those have made it under the pillow, some lost, and yes, some even swallowed. For the ones that were not able to make it under the pillow, she has been known to draw a picture of them with a note explaining what had happened for the tooth fairy. Well, a couple of days ago I was cleaning out some drawers and came across one of her notes to the TF. This is not a note to the tooth fairy after she had lost a tooth, but just a simple inquiry from a 6 year old with a few very important questions.



It reads (with some minor, and in some cases major, spelling adjustments):

Dear Tooth Fairy,
I lost 3 teeth but I did not get to give them to you. Can you give me money for them? Since then I haven't lost any teeth for a long time. Can you tell me why that is? Thank you.

Sincerely,
Peyton Alexander

P.S. What is your favorite color and do you lose teeth?


Oh my word, I love it! This is so P. She is a justice seeker from the word go, and my girl loves herself some cash! But our tooth fairy is CHEAP, and if there is no tooth, then there is no cash. It's an unfortunate reality at the Alexander casa.

Boy do I love this kid! She keeps us laughing, and I am grateful for these memories of her and her little personality that I will have for years to come.

4 comments:

  1. that is when the tooth fairy isn't cold and actually makes it out and about to stop at the alexander house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. listen, sometimes the ol' TF is busy helping Santa. It's just how she roles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mart, I loved the tooth fairy note! Peyton looks so much like you did at her age, and I believe she's almost as funny! What fun your family had together at the concert! It's great to get a glimpse of your life as a wife and mom. I would love to have a nice long visit with you over a strong cup'o joe. Our Lord is so good to us, and how I look forward to seeing Him face to face. Until then, we'll keep on serving Him, right? Love you, Ms Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, Ms. Beth! Me too! More than you could know. Thanks for checkin' in on us. :)

    ReplyDelete